Translations: Common problems and resolutions/13/en
MacOS-specific software problems
I'm running MacOS 10.6, and it won't support Java 1.7. Do I have to update MacOS?
No! There is a workaround for installing Java JDK 1.7 on MacOS 10.6. You must be comfortable editing plist files in order to use this workaround.
- Go to:
- Change: ProductUserVisibleVersion = 10.6.x and ProductVersion = 10.6.x to:
- ProductUserVisibleVersion = 10.7.8
- ProductVersion = 10.7.8
- Install JDK 7 and change SystemVersion.plist back to normal
- Go to and open /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_40.jdk
- Uncheck both Java 6 VMs. Now Java 7 will load first.